Sunday, September 11

The life of a Fantasy Football owner

As I life long Packers fan, I was quite happy when "my team" stopped Mark Ingram on a last second goalline stand to preserve an 8 point victory over the Saints. However, as a fantasy football owner, I couldn't fully enjoy the victory as much as in the days prior to fantasy football.
The sport of fantasy football has taken over the NFL world. Whether you have a small family league for fun, or are a serious participant spending thousands of dollars on high stakes contests, most people who watch the NFL are in a fantasy football league. As enjoyable as fantasy football is, I believe it has hindered fans and their loyalties to their favorite teams.
When I'm watching the Packers games in a public place, it frustrates me to hear so called Packers fans say it's OK that they just gave up a touchdown because their fantasy player is the one who scored it. That's kind of like saying you're happy you got shot because you weren't killed by the bullet wound. Maybe not the best analogy, but you get my point.
Not only does it affect how people root for their own teams, but people these days are focused in more on the small scroll line at the bottom of the screen than the actual game going on the majority of the screen. Even the tv networks and nfl stadiums have catered towards the fantasy football owner with constant stats and scoring info popping up on screens and scoreboards everywhere.
Fantasy football has also clouded the judgment of many fans. They constantly want to coach to call a play to give the ball to their fantasy players rather than run a play that will work effectively. I've seen Packers fans disappointed after a Rodgers TD pass because he threw it to Nelson instead of Jennings. Disappointed at your team scoring a TD? Really?!?!?
Fantasy football has changed viewing games in many ways, and I found myself in the middle of it on Thursday. I have Mark Ingram on over half of my 18 teams, so although I was jumping up and down when the Packers stopped him at the goalline, a small part of my was disappointed I didn't get those extra 6 points for my fantasy team. Right or wrong, this is the state of the typical NFL fan in the year 2011.

No comments: