Hot off the presses...Indy 35, New England 34.
All of you second guessers out there, I disagree with you! Anybody can play it safe and and lose respectfully. A smart man, like Bellicheck will do what gives him the best odds to win.
For those who are in a cave and didn't see the Sunday night showdown, here's the situation. New England is up by 6 with 4th and 2 from their own 28 yard line with 2:11 left. Indy had only 1 timeout left.
Ninety-nine percent of the gutless coaches in all of football, would punt the ball away to one of the most feared qb's in football. Bellicheck decides to go for it. Brady completed the pass for what appeared to be a first down. However, since Faulk bobbled the ball, the ref gave him a poor spot and Indy took over on downs. After watching the replay, it appeared to me that Faulk got control at the 3o yard line for a first down, but since New England used their last 2 time outs on the drive, they couldn't challenge the play. The result is neither here nor there. The debate is over his decision to go for it.
I look at it like this. I would feel much better with the league's 2nd best offense (in yards gained) getting 2 yards against a team with a depleted secondary than my tired defense stopping Manning and the Colts from going 60-70 yards in 2 minutes with one time out. If you gain 2 yards, you can run the clock down to 30 seconds or less. If you don't, Indy still has to get the ball in the end zone. I haven't found the stats, but I assume that New England converts over 60% of 3rd or 4th and 2 yards or less.
To say a punt is the only option there is like saying the prevent defense is the only option when protecting a late lead. We all know that a prevent defense only prevents you from winning. Indy's offense was hot and New England's defense was tired. I don't think the call to go for it was risky. I think it was the right call which gave them the best chance to win. All you can ask out of your coach is to put you in the best position to win.
ps> the late Manning/Wayne td cost me a lot of money, so I'm not on Bellicheck's side because he helped me in my leagues/investments
Sunday, November 15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment