I don't know what's worse...getting blown out or getting teased only to end up with the same losing result? Going into tonight's game, I assumed that I would not stay in the top 5 and go 0-2. As the game unfolded, the Titans controlled the clock and Reggie Wayne was silent, so I had a chance. When Tennessee went up 17-14 mid way thru the 4th quarter, I had some breathing room to work with. Tennessee then took a few minutes off the clock and drove for a TD with 6 minutes left to go up 24-14. At this point, Wayne only had 2 or 3 points and Manning had about 10 and Vinatieri just 2. I wasn't around a computer, but I figured even if Manning gets a lot of garbage yards against a prevent defense, I'll be OK even if he throws a TD pass, as long as Wayne didn't get a lot of the yards.
After one first down, Manning throws an int, and I think I have it in the bag. Under 4 minutes to play, and I'm ahead by about 8. Unfortunately, Tennessee scored on the first play, so only 16 seconds got used up. Now Manning could probably give Marauders the lead on yards alone. Being up by 17, I didn't think Tennessee's D would put up much of a fight.
They let Manning dink and dunk, and fortunately, Wayne wasn't getting any of the yards. There was also about 20 yards gained on running plays, so I figured even with a TD pass I might be OK. At the 2 minute warning, I decide to leave the bar and listen in my car.
Indy gets down inside the 10 with 90 seconds left. A TD pass will make it a very close game. On 2nd down, they complete a swing pass and Rhodes gets to the 2. Then they run the ball and Boomer says that Rhodes got in the end zone. I feel I clinched 5th place, so I cheer. Then he says they didn't rule him in and that if he only extended the ball a few inches, he would of had a TD. UGHHHHHHHH I knew what was coming next...a qb sneak.
Sure enough...Peyton sneaks it in and my hopes are dashed. When I get home, I check the live scoring just to be sure I lost. Yep...final score is 111.86 to my 105.82. I then do the math, to see if I would have won if Rhodes would have scored...Peyton got 6 for the TD and .1 for the yard rushing. Take away the 6.1 and Marauders score is 105.76...I would have won by 6 tenths of a point! That six tenths of a point would have allowed me to seal a playoff spot with a victory next week.
Now I'm going to need help. I sit at 12-4 tied for 2nd, but trail that team in points by 37, so even if I go 2-0, I'll have to beat Desperado's by 37 points to win that tie breaker. I play the 11-3 team, so I can also make it if I beat him and either he doesn't finish in the top 5 and I do, or I out score him by 4.3 points (Dallas Clark's big game gave him the lead over me in points). I basically control my own destiny, but it would be a lot easier if I only had to win my match next week and not worry about anything else.
Is it too late to review Rhodes run to see if he crossed the goal line?
Monday, October 27
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment